Preferred Location: Manchester, NH
Provides leadership to the Commercial and Specialty Business Division (CSBD) Underwriting team for New Hampshire as well as financial leadership and decision support to both sales and the State Plan President and strategic consultation for new sales and account renewals.
The ideal candidate will be able to leverage resources and partnerships, internally and externally (clients and consultants), and act as a key contributor to commercial business growth in New Hampshire.
The Director of Underwriting is responsible for leading, developing and overseeing the implementation of policies and strategies that maintain a balance of profitability, growth, and risk management for the state. In addition to oversite of all underwriting activities for the New Hampshire Small and Large Group including ASO and Fully Insured business segments.
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Monitors and influences profitability of renewal and prospect employer groups as assigned. Establishes underwriting policies and rating procedures, communicates any changes to staff, and ensures compliance.
- Oversees the issuance of standard financial arrangement contracts and creates wording for non-standard or new financial arrangements.
- Utilizes in-depth knowledge of formulas, trending, reserving procedures, and claims to implement and consult with sales staff on the appropriateness of specific financial arrangements, ASO arrangements, and reinsurance provisions.
- Participates in strategic planning and management decisions.
- Develops and manages department budget.
- Hires, trains, coaches, counsels, and evaluates performance of direct reports.
- Develops relationships with external business partners and clients
- Requires a BA/BS in a related field; 9 years of related Underwriting experience; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- Strategic thinker with a broad and deep understanding of the healthcare industry
- Strong Healthcare product knowledge (HMO, PPO, POS, and HSA)
- Fully Insured, ASO and Reinsurance underwriting experience
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including the ability to present to executive leadership and externally
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, including relationship management, persuasion, and negotiation skills
Preferred Skills, Capabilities, and Experience:
- CPCU, CLU, LOMA, HIAA or other insurance related courses
- Strong software skills and demonstrated planning, project management, analytical, and research skills are strongly preferred
Please be advised that Elevance Health only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Elevance Health. Accordingly, Elevance Health is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Elevance Health. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Elevance Health.
Be part of an Extraordinary Team
Elevance Health is a health company dedicated to improving lives and communities – and making healthcare simpler. Previously known as Anthem, Inc., we have evolved into a company focused on whole health and updated our name to better reflect the direction the company is heading.
We are looking for leaders at all levels of the organization who are passionate about making an impact on our members and the communities we serve. You will thrive in a complex and collaborative environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change. Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact?
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Elevance Health. We require all new candidates to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Elevance Health approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Elevance Health is able to reasonably accommodate. Elevance Health will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Elevance Health has been named as a Fortune Great Place To Work in 2021, is ranked as one of the 2021 World’s Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine, and a Top 20 Fortune 500 Companies on Diversity and Inclusion. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.ElevanceHealthinc.com. Elevance Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.