The Licensed Utilization Review Nurse II is responsible for working primarily with healthcare providers to help ensure appropriate and consistent administration of plan benefits through collecting clinical information required to preauthorize services, assess medical necessity, out of network services, and appropriateness of treatment setting and applying appropriate medical policies, clinical guidelines, plan benefits, and/or scripted algorithms within scope of licensure. This level works with more complex elements and requires review of more complex benefit plans. May also serve as a resource to less experienced staff. Examples of such functions may include: review of claim edits, pre-noted inpatient admissions or, episodic outpatient therapy such as physical therapy that is not associated with a continuum of care, radiology review, or other such review processes that require an understanding of terminology and disease processes and the application of clinical guidelines but do not require nursing judgment.
Location : California - To be considered for this position you must reside within 50 miles of an Elevance Health office in CA.
How you will make an impact:
- Utilizing department guidelines, completes triage process and applies established criteria to assign members to appropriate care management component.
- Responsible for determining appropriate Care Management program for members referred through internal and external sources and various data sources and reports.
- Conducts appeals, inpatient, retrospective, out of network and appropriateness of treatment setting reviews within scope of licensure by utilizing appropriate medical policies and clinical guidelines in compliance with department guidelines and consistent with the members eligibility, benefits and contract.
- Develops relationships with physicians, healthcare service providers, and internal and external customers to help improve health outcomes for members.
- Applies clinical knowledge to work with facilities and providers for care-coordination.
- May access and consult with peer clinical reviewers, Medical Directors and/or delegated clinical reviewers to help ensure medically appropriate, quality, cost effective care throughout the medical management process.
- Educates the member about plan benefits and contracted physicians, facilities and healthcare providers.
- Refers treatment plans/plan of care to peer clinical reviewers in accordance with established criteria/guidelines and does not issue medical necessity non-certifications.
- Facilitates accreditation by knowing, understanding, and accurately applying accrediting and regulatory requirements and standards.
Minimum Requirements :
- Requires a LPN or LVN and minimum of 2 years of clinical or utilization review experience and minimum of 1 year of managed care experience; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- Current active unrestricted license or certification to practice as a health professional within the scope of practice in the state of California required.
- Current unrestricted license or certification in CA required.
- Associates in this role are expected to have strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, problem-solving skills, facilitation skills, and analytical skills.
- Must have availability to work one of these schedules: Tuesday - Saturday 9am - 6pm PST or Monday - Friday 10am - 7pm PST.
- Weekend and Holiday Rotation required
Preferred Skills, Capabilities and Experiences:
- Knowledge of the medical management process strongly preferred.
- Clinical triage experience.
Please be advised that Elevance Health only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Elevance Health. Accordingly, Elevance Health is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Elevance Health. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Elevance Health.
Be part of an Extraordinary Team
Elevance Health is a health company dedicated to improving lives and communities – and making healthcare simpler. Previously known as Anthem, Inc., we have evolved into a company focused on whole health and updated our name to better reflect the direction the company is heading.
We are looking for leaders at all levels of the organization who are passionate about making an impact on our members and the communities we serve. You will thrive in a complex and collaborative environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change. Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact?
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Elevance Health. We require all new candidates to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Elevance Health approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Elevance Health is able to reasonably accommodate. Elevance Health will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Elevance Health has been named as a Fortune Great Place To Work in 2021, is ranked as one of the 2021 World’s Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine, and a Top 20 Fortune 500 Companies on Diversity and Inclusion. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.ElevanceHealth.com. Elevance Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.