Preferred Location: Louisville, KY; Pewaukee, WI, Indianapolis, IN; or Mason, OH. This position will primarily be remote, but proximity to an Elevance Health major pulse point is a plus. Elevance Health supports a hybrid workplace model with pulse point sites used for collaboration, community, and connection.
We are seeking an experienced attorney to provide advice on subrogation and subrogation related issues.
Primary duties may include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for providing legal advice and recommendations to subrogation business area.
- This includes litigation advice on subrogation recoveries, advice on proposed legislation, advice on subrogation language and related issues.
- Focus of work is on large scale and/or high financial level projects with broad department and/or organizational impact and moderate level of risk.
- Works as a strategic partner and decision maker with more senior leaders and manages work independently.
- Applies knowledge of one or more legal specialties with sound business acumen and knowledge of the business goals and objectives as they relate to the legal matter at hand.
- Determines methods and procedures on new assignments and may coordinate legal projects.
- Contributes to overall results of an SBU or CEE unit and/or department.
- Uses professional legal concepts and principles to contribute to development of company's concepts and principles.
- May possess deep technical knowledge or broader scope of knowledge.
- Provides instructions to junior members of the department and concise, timely briefings to senior level business and legal management.
- Routinely works on complex problems in which analysis of situations and/or facts require an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Serves as a resource for other attorneys and paralegals as well as business clients instructing and advising on technical and tactical issues.
- Assesses and mitigates risk.
- Reports to management any identified business exposure and associated risks as well as mitigation techniques being utilized.
- Responsible for coordinating recovery efforts with outside counsel and formulating recovery strategies related to the filing or defense of recovery claims.
- This includes monitoring and oversight of outside counsel relative to recovery results and overall quality of representation (responsiveness, tactics, training, etc.).
- Serve as an escalation point for subrogation associates in the handling of individual files and provide subject matter training and support for associates on an as needed basis to be determined in consultation with the business area leadership.
- Provide advice and recommendations on mass tort cases.
- Provide general legal support to subrogation business area as needed.
- Provide advice on HIPAA and other privacy laws and regulations in conjunction with privacy compliance associates.
- Requires a JD, current license to practice law and minimum of 15 years of specific industry and/or technical legal experience post licensure including experience in managing outside counsel; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- Minimum of 9 years’ experience as an attorney within health or insurance law, subrogation, and/or personal injury litigation.
Preferred Skills, Capabilities and Experiences:
- Familiarity with subrogation and reimbursement laws across the 50 states.
- Familiarity with workers compensation, Medicare, Medicaid, Federal Employee Health Benefits Act (FEHBA), and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA).
- Familiarity with legislative process and contract drafting.
Please be advised that Elevance Health only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Elevance Health. Accordingly, Elevance Health is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Elevance Health. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Elevance Health.
Be part of an Extraordinary Team
Elevance Health is a health company dedicated to improving lives and communities – and making healthcare simpler. Previously known as Anthem, Inc., we have evolved into a company focused on whole health and updated our name to better reflect the direction the company is heading.
We are looking for leaders at all levels of the organization who are passionate about making an impact on our members and the communities we serve. You will thrive in a complex and collaborative environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change. Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact?
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Elevance Health. We require all new candidates to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Elevance Health approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Elevance Health is able to reasonably accommodate. Elevance Health will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Elevance Health has been named as a Fortune Great Place To Work in 2021, is ranked as one of the 2021 World’s Most Admired Companies among health insurers by Fortune magazine, and a Top 20 Fortune 500 Companies on Diversity and Inclusion. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.ElevanceHealthinc.com. Elevance Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.