Tax Manager (Sales and Use Tax)
Location: This position could primarily be remote, but proximity to the Elevance Health major office (Pulse Point) in Indianapolis, IN is a plus. Elevance Health supports a hybrid workplace model with pulse point sites used for collaboration, community, and connection.
The Tax Manager (Sales and Use Tax) is responsible for ensuring tax compliance matters are timely and accurately addressed for returns prepared and reviewed by the manager. Additionally, this position ensures that income and other tax liabilities are properly reflected and disclosed in financial statements.
*The primary focus of this role will be sales and use tax.
How You Will Make an Impact:
- Prepares and reviews state and local tax returns in accordance with applicable tax laws.
- Provides guidance to specific business situations through analyzing tax developments and research.
- Assists or leads other tax department activities, including projects, and tax examinations.
- Assists with the development and training of other department members.
Requires BA/BS in accounting and a minimum of 6 years of tax experience, public accounting or the equivalent; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
Preferred Skills, Capabilities and Experiences:
- Insurance industry experience preferred.
- CPA or CMI preferred.
- Track record of performance in a highly interactive, fast-paced team environment.
- Experience with Vertex or similar tax decision software preferred.
- Oversee and effectively resolve sales and use tax audits, including evaluating the implications of potential settlement alternatives to ensure best outcome for Elevance Health.
- Review transaction tax data to ensure accuracy and identify discrepancies with taxability, rates, and system errors.
- Ability to make reasonable taxability decisions and determinations based on research, industry trends and changing tax laws that may impact Elevance Health as a customer or as a supplier; to also include corresponding tax jurisdictions to which a filing requirement exists.
- Monitor sales & use tax technical developments.
- Collaborate proactively with other departments to ensure proper sales & use tax treatment on purchase orders and invoices.
- Strong analytical and problem resolution skills to manage and reconcile large volume of transactional data for internal and external reporting.
- Initiative to analyze processes and implement strategies to improve efficiencies and controls.
- Ability to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness with attention to details while providing quality customer service (both internally and externally).
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with a proven ability to multitask daily responsibilities and projects, completing both in a timely manner.
Please be advised that Elevance Health only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Elevance Health. Accordingly, Elevance Health is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Elevance Health. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Elevance Health.
Be part of an Extraordinary Team
Elevance Health is a health company dedicated to improving lives and communities – and making healthcare simpler. A Fortune 20 company with a longstanding history in the healthcare industry, we are looking for leaders at all levels of the organization who are passionate about making an impact on our members and the communities we serve. You will thrive in a complex and collaborative environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change. Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact?
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Elevance Health. We require all new candidates in certain patient/member-facing roles to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Elevance Health approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Elevance Health is able to reasonably accommodate. Elevance Health will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Elevance Health has been named as a Fortune Great Place To Work in 2022, has been ranked for five years running as one of the 2023 World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune magazine, and is a growing Top 20 Fortune 500 Company. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.ElevanceHealth.com. Elevance Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.