Clinical Operations Medical Director
Utilization Management of Medical Oncology Benefits
Carelon Benefits Management (AIM)
$20,000 Sign On Bonus
Remote/Work From Home - Location flexible within the United States
A proud member of the Elevance Health family of companies, Carelon Medical Benefits Management, formerly AIM Specialty Health, is a benefit-management leader in Illinois. Our platform delivers significant cost-of-care savings across an expanding set of clinical domains, including radiology, cardiology and oncology.
The Clinical Operations Medical Director is responsible for supporting the medical management staff ensuring timely and consistent medical decisions to members and providers.
- Perform physician-level case review, following initial nurse review, of radiation therapy regimens and supportive care.
- Perform physician-level case review, following initial nurse review, of high-tech diagnostic imaging. Imaging modalities include CT, CTA, MRI, MRA, and PET.
- Determine medical necessity of requests using AIM Medical Necessity Guidelines and client-specific health plan medical policy.
- Conduct peer-to-peer discussions with ordering physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners to provide education regarding established guidelines and accepted standards of oncology care.
- Document the pre-certification review in a complete, concise, and accurate manner in the pre-certification computer application.
- Demonstrate and maintain current knowledge of new cancer treatment regimens.
- As necessary, assist pre-certification nurses and other staff in understanding the principles behind appropriate utilization of covered treatments and genetic testing.
- Participate in periodic physician team meetings.
- Demonstrate and maintain knowledge of relevant policies and regulations pertaining to utilization review of oncology care.
- Participate on committees or in work groups as needed for revision of clinical guidelines and/or serve as a subject matter expert.
- Perform first level provider appeals as designated by the client for adverse determinations.
- Obtain additional state licensure based upon business needs.
- Adhere to all AIM Specialty Health Management protocols, policies, and procedures.
- Requires an MD and minimum of 1 year of experience with clinical case reviews for medical necessity. The minimum of 1 year of experience with clinical case reviews would be waived for the following specific specialties only; Cardiology, Oncology, and Interventional Pain specialties.
- Board certification in a medical specialty required.
- 3-5 years of clinical practice experience past fellowship training is desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current practice standards in oncology.
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Intermediate computer skills (including MS Office and Outlook), ability to learn new applications.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
For candidates working in person or remotely in the below locations, the salary* range for this specific position is $181,750 to $327,176.
Locations: California; Colorado; Nevada; Washington State; Jersey City, NJ; New York City, NY; Ithaca, NY and Westchester County, NY
In addition to your salary, Elevance Health offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). The salary offered for this specific position is based on a number of legitimate, non-discriminatory factors set by the company. The company is fully committed to ensuring equal pay opportunities for equal work regardless of gender, race, or any other category protected by federal, state, and local pay equity laws .
* The salary range is the range Elevance Health in good faith believes is the range of possible compensation for this role at the time of this posting. This range may be modified in the future and actual compensation may vary from posting based on geographic location, work experience, education and/or skill level. Even within the range, the actual compensation will vary depending on the above factors as well as market/business considerations. No amount is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable under the terms and conditions of the applicable policies and plans. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
Please be advised that Elevance Health only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Elevance Health. Accordingly, Elevance Health is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Elevance Health. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Elevance Health.
Be part of an Extraordinary Team
Elevance Health is a health company dedicated to improving lives and communities – and making healthcare simpler. A Fortune 20 company with a longstanding history in the healthcare industry, we are looking for leaders at all levels of the organization who are passionate about making an impact on our members and the communities we serve. You will thrive in a complex and collaborative environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change. Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact?
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Elevance Health. We require all new candidates in certain patient/member-facing roles to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Elevance Health approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Elevance Health is able to reasonably accommodate. Elevance Health will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Elevance Health has been named as a Fortune Great Place To Work in 2022, has been ranked for five years running as one of the 2023 World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune magazine, and is a growing Top 20 Fortune 500 Company. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.ElevanceHealth.com. Elevance Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.