Certified Peer Support Specialist
Location: Brooklyn , NY you must reside in Kings County.
This position is both telephonic and field-based. You will support our members with approximately 50% of field work in the Brooklyn, NY territory of Kings county. When you are not in the field, you will work remotely from home. You must live in Kings County to apply. Work will be completed during standard business hours, with flexibility to meet business needs.
The Wellness & Recovery Specialist is an active member of the corporate Peer Support and Recovery program and provides peer support services to clients with serious mental illnesses and/or substance use disorders through telephonic and field-based operations. The Peer Specialist will function as a role model to members; demonstrating expertise in personal recovery and use of coping skills; serves as a consumer advocate, provides consumer information and peer support for members. As a peer specialist you will perform a range of tasks to engage, motivate and inspire members to participate in their recovery, regain independence within the community and promote optimal wellness.
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Teach and role model the value of the member’s recovery experience.
- Models effective coping techniques and self-help strategies.
- Serve as a recovery agent by providing and advocating for recovery-based services to assist the members in daily living.
- Identify opportunities for engagement of members in forming a supportive, peer recovery network.
- Assist members in working with their case manager or treatment team in determining the steps he/she needs to take to achieve these goals and self-directed recovery.
- Assist members in setting up and sustaining self-help (mutual support) groups, as well as means of locating and joining existing groups.
- Initiates and maintains contact with assigned members to determine members’ engagement and response to services.
- Assist members understand Peer Recovery resources available within the local community.
- Assist members in identifying recovery resources, supports, remove barriers, and facilitate connections in the local community
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary teams as a member advocate in discharge planning education, resolution of barriers, and service transitions.
- Acts as a resource for staff on decision making and problem-solving as it relates to the peer role.
- Utilize tools such as the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) to assist clients in creating their wellness and recovery plans.
- Assist clients in developing empowerment skills and combating stigma through self-advocacy
- Requires AA/AS and minimum of 2 years of experience in health services or behavioral health field or in a peer support services role; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
- Peer Specialist Certification required.
- Knowledge of care-coordination and case management concepts strongly preferred.
- AA/AS, BA/BS or MBA preferred.
- One year experience working as a Peer Support Specialist, after receiving certification, or related equivalent experience.
- Located in the assigned territory with the ability to support our members with approximately 50% of field work.
- Experience working with computers toggling back and forth through multiple screens.
- Experience with researching resources.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Telephonic and field-based customer service
- Knowledge of the Recovery process and the ability to facilitate recovery using established standardized mental health processes.
- Knowledge and skill to teach and engage in basic problem-solving strategies to support individual clients in self-directed recovery.
- Knowledge of the signs and symptoms of mental illness & substance use disorders.
- Knowledge and skills sufficient to use community resources necessary for independent living and ability to teach those skills to other individuals with severe mental illness.
- Knowledge of how to establish and sustain self-help (mutual support) and educational groups by soliciting input from the mental health consumers on their strengths and interests.
For candidates working in person or remotely in the below locations, the salary* range for this specific position is $19.31 to $34.75
Locations: New York
In addition to your salary, Elevance Health offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). The salary offered for this specific position is based on a number of legitimate, non-discriminatory factors set by the company. The company is fully committed to ensuring equal pay opportunities for equal work regardless of gender, race, or any other category protected by federal, state, and local pay equity laws .
* The salary range is the range Elevance Health in good faith believes is the range of possible compensation for this role at the time of this posting. This range may be modified in the future and actual compensation may vary from posting based on geographic location, work experience, education and/or skill level. Even within the range, the actual compensation will vary depending on the above factors as well as market/business considerations. No amount is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable under the terms and conditions of the applicable policies and plans. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
Please be advised that Elevance Health only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Elevance Health. Accordingly, Elevance Health is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Elevance Health. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Elevance Health.
Be part of an Extraordinary Team
Elevance Health is a health company dedicated to improving lives and communities – and making healthcare simpler. A Fortune 20 company with a longstanding history in the healthcare industry, we are looking for leaders at all levels of the organization who are passionate about making an impact on our members and the communities we serve. You will thrive in a complex and collaborative environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change. Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact?
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
Elevance Health operates in a Hybrid Workforce Strategy, providing various levels of flexibility while also ensuring that associates have opportunities to connect in-person. Unless in a designated virtual-eligible role and specified as primarily virtual by the hiring manager, associates are required to work at an Elevance Health location at least once per week, and potentially several times per week. Specific requirements and expectations for time onsite will be discussed as part of the hiring process. Candidates must reside within 50 miles or 1-hour commute each way of a relevant Elevance Health location.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Elevance Health. We require all new candidates in certain patient/member-facing roles to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Elevance Health approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Elevance Health is able to reasonably accommodate. Elevance Health will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Elevance Health has been named as a Fortune Great Place To Work in 2022, has been ranked for five years running as one of the 2023 World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune magazine, and is a growing Top 20 Fortune 500 Company. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.ElevanceHealth.com. Elevance Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.