This is a remote provider/external facing individual contributor role, and the incumbent must live within a commutable distance of Richmond, VA.
The Plan Performance Medical Director is responsible for serving as the lead clinician for a plan. Responsible for the administration of medical services for company health plan including the overall medical policies or clinical guidelines of the plan to ensure the appropriate and most cost-effective medical care is received. Drives direction of the plan related to cost of care and other plan directives. Works with the market plan president during meetings with State Regulator.
Primary duties may include but are not limited to:
- Supports the Medical Management staff to ensure timely and consistent responses to members and providers. Provides guidance for clinical operational aspects of a program.
- Conducts peer-to-peer clinical reviews with attending physicians or other providers to discuss review determinations, and patients’ office visits with providers and external physicians.
- May conduct peer-to-peer clinical appeal case reviews with attending physicians or other ordering providers to discuss review determinations. Interprets existing policies or clinical guidelines and develops new policies based on changes in the healthcare or medical arena.
- Leads, develops, directs and implements clinical and non-clinical activities that impact efficient and effective care.
- Identifies and develops opportunities for innovation to increase effectiveness and quality.
- Provides expertise, captures and shares best practices across regions to other medical directors.
- May chair or serve on company committees, may be required to represent the company to external entities and/or serve on external committees.
- Requires MD or DO and Board certification approved by one of the following certifying boards is required, where applicable to duties being performed, American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Requires an active unrestricted Virginia medical license to practice medicine or a health profession. Unless expressly allowed by state or federal law, or regulation, must be located in a state or territory of the United States when conducting utilization review or an appeals consideration and cannot be located on a US military base, vessel or any embassy located in or outside of the US.
- Minimum of 10 years of clinical experience; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
Preferred Skills, Capabilities, and Experiences
- Previous managed care (Medicaid) experience
- Data analysis experience a plus
For URAC accredited areas, the following professional competencies apply:
- Associates in this role are expected to have strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, problem-solving skills, facilitation skills, and analytical skills.
- Travel may be required.
If this job is assigned to any Government Business Division entity, the applicant and incumbent fall under a `sensitive position' work designation and may be subject to additional requirements beyond those associates outside Government Business Divisions.
- Requirements include but are not limited to more stringent and frequent background checks and/or government clearances, segregation of duties principles, role specific training, monitoring of daily job functions, and sensitive data handling instructions.
- Associates in these jobs must follow the specific policies, procedures, guidelines, etc. as stated by the Government Business Division in which they are employed.
Please be advised that Elevance Health only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Elevance Health. Accordingly, Elevance Health is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Elevance Health. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Elevance Health.
Be part of an Extraordinary Team
Elevance Health is a health company dedicated to improving lives and communities – and making healthcare simpler. A Fortune 20 company with a longstanding history in the healthcare industry, we are looking for leaders at all levels of the organization who are passionate about making an impact on our members and the communities we serve. You will thrive in a complex and collaborative environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change. Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact?
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
Elevance Health operates in a Hybrid Workforce Strategy, providing various levels of flexibility while also ensuring that associates have opportunities to connect in-person. Unless in a designated virtual-eligible role and specified as primarily virtual by the hiring manager, associates are required to work at an Elevance Health location at least once per week, and potentially several times per week. Specific requirements and expectations for time onsite will be discussed as part of the hiring process. Candidates must reside within 50 miles or 1-hour commute each way of a relevant Elevance Health location.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Elevance Health. We require all new candidates in certain patient/member-facing roles to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Elevance Health approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Elevance Health is able to reasonably accommodate. Elevance Health will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Elevance Health has been named as a Fortune Great Place To Work in 2022, has been ranked for five years running as one of the 2023 World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune magazine, and is a growing Top 20 Fortune 500 Company. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.ElevanceHealth.com. Elevance Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.