Location: Elevance Health supports a hybrid workplace model (virtual and in-office) with PulsePoint sites used for collaboration, community, and connection. This includes remote work and 1-2 days in office per week.
The Public Relations Manager - Crisis Communications is a pivotal role responsible ownership over critical enterprise issues management and developing and executing effective crisis communication strategies. This position demands exceptional communication skills, strategic acumen, and the ability to navigate high-pressure and sensitive situations. This team member will play a leadership role in managing and mitigating reputational risks, ensuring timely and transparent communication during enterprise issues, and safeguarding the organization's brand and reputation.
How You Will Make an Impact
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Crisis Communication Strategy: Develop and implement comprehensive crisis communication strategies. Identify potential risks and vulnerabilities and develop proactive plans to address them effectively.
- Crisis Preparedness: Execute crisis communication protocols and processes and use appropriate tools and approaches to ensure readiness for potential healthcare or member issues & crises. Conduct risk assessments, scenario planning, and simulations to strengthen preparedness efforts.
- Media Relations: Build and maintain strong relationships with healthcare media outlets, journalists, and influencers. Proactively engage with media contacts to manage media inquiries, provide accurate information, and shape the narrative during healthcare crises.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders. Maintain open lines of communication, address concerns, and provide updates to ensure transparency and trust.
- Message Development: Craft clear, consistent, and empathetic messaging for internal and external audiences during healthcare crises. Adapt messaging based on the situation, target audience, and channel to effectively address concerns and mitigate reputational risks.
- Issue Monitoring and Analysis: Monitor healthcare industry trends, public sentiment, and social media platforms to identify potential issues and anticipate crisis scenarios. Conduct post-crisis analysis and provide recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Training and Education: Develop and deliver crisis communication training programs for key stakeholders, including executives, spokespersons, and staff members. Ensure that teams are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to respond effectively during healthcare crises.
- Requires a BA/BS degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related area; 7 years of related experience with issues management and crisis communication, with a strong focus on the healthcare industry; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
Preferred Skills, Capabilities, and Experiences:
- Strong understanding of the healthcare landscape, including regulations, compliance, and industry-specific challenges.
- Proven track record of managing and leading issues and crisis communication efforts during high-pressure situations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to craft clear and concise messages for diverse audiences and channels.
- Experience in media relations, including working with healthcare journalists and managing media inquiries.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to remain calm and composed under pressure and make sound decisions in time-sensitive situations.
- Proficiency in crisis communication tools and platforms.
- Understanding of industry-specific regulations and compliance requirements relevant to healthcare communications.
- Strong familiarity with current industry trends, advancements, and challenges in healthcare, as well as the ability to leverage this knowledge to position the organization and its leaders as thought leaders.
- Experience in managing reputation risks and developing proactive communication strategies.
Please be advised that Elevance Health only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Elevance Health. Accordingly, Elevance Health is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Elevance Health. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Elevance Health.
Be part of an Extraordinary Team
Elevance Health is a health company dedicated to improving lives and communities – and making healthcare simpler. A Fortune 20 company with a longstanding history in the healthcare industry, we are looking for leaders at all levels of the organization who are passionate about making an impact on our members and the communities we serve. You will thrive in a complex and collaborative environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change. Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact?
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
Elevance Health operates in a Hybrid Workforce Strategy, providing various levels of flexibility while also ensuring that associates have opportunities to connect in-person. Unless in a designated virtual-eligible role and specified as primarily virtual by the hiring manager, associates are required to work at an Elevance Health location at least once per week, and potentially several times per week. Specific requirements and expectations for time onsite will be discussed as part of the hiring process. Candidates must reside within 50 miles or 1-hour commute each way of a relevant Elevance Health location.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Elevance Health. We require all new candidates in certain patient/member-facing roles to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Elevance Health approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Elevance Health is able to reasonably accommodate. Elevance Health will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Elevance Health has been named as a Fortune Great Place To Work in 2022, has been ranked for five years running as one of the 2023 World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune magazine, and is a growing Top 20 Fortune 500 Company. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.ElevanceHealth.com. Elevance Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.