Location(s): Elevance Health supports a hybrid workplace model (virtual and in-office) with PulsePoint sites used for collaboration, community, and connection. This includes remote work and 1-2 days in office per week. Must report to one of the following offices: Mason, OH, Indianapolis, IN, Louisville, KY or Waukesha, WI.
The Senior Public Relations Director of Corporate Communications is a leadership role accountable for driving communication strategies that support the commercial healthcare business and state-based communications in Ohio, Indiana, and Wisconsin.
This position plays a pivotal role in shaping and executing communication initiatives to promote the organization's commercial healthcare offerings and maintain a strong presence in these states. The Senior Director will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders and amplify the organization's strategy to become a lifetime trusted health partner.
How You Will Make an Impact
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Health Plan Communications Strategy: Develop and execute a comprehensive communications strategy that aligns with the organization's mission, regulatory requirements, and member/community needs.
- Stakeholder Collaboration: Collaborate with internal teams, including health plan leadership, government affairs and marketing to ensure the seamless execution of our communication initiatives and campaigns. Foster partnerships with external entities, such as community stakeholders, healthcare influencers, and government agencies.
- Media Relationship Management: Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with media outlets, journalists, influencers, and industry thought leaders. Proactively engage with media contacts to secure positive coverage, interviews, and feature opportunities.
- Media Campaigns: Lead the development and execution of media campaigns that generate high-impact coverage. Create captivating press releases, media pitches, and other communication materials to attract media attention and interest.
- Thought Leadership Programs: Partner with team to connect our state and market-based brand narrative and priorities to position key executives and subject matter experts as industry authorities. Assist team in identifying speaking engagements, panel discussions, and other opportunities to enhance executive visibility and thought leadership.
- Media Monitoring and Analysis: Monitor media coverage, industry trends, and public sentiment to identify emerging issues and opportunities. Analyze media metrics and provide insights to measure the effectiveness of media relations efforts.
- Cross-functional Collaboration: Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders, including marketing, communications, and executive teams, to align messaging and ensure consistent brand representation. Coordinate with other departments to leverage media opportunities and amplify key initiatives.
- Team Leadership: Lead and mentor a team responsible for health plan communications. Provide guidance, support, and professional development opportunities to team members.
- Requires a BA/BS in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, or a related field; a minimum of 10 years of experience in public relations, with a focus on health care and media relations; or any combination of education and experience, which would provide an equivalent background.
Preferred Skills, Capabilities, and Experiences
- Proven track record of developing and executing successful public relations strategies that drive media coverage and brand awareness.
- Strong understanding of health insurance principles, benefit design, and healthcare data.
- Excellent storytelling and writing skills, with the ability to craft engaging narratives for various audiences and platforms.
- Crisis communication experience and the ability to handle sensitive issues with professionalism and poise.
- Demonstrated expertise in media monitoring tools and analytics to measure the impact of PR campaigns.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to align PR efforts with broader organizational goals and objectives.
- Understanding of media dynamics and trends within the healthcare industry.
- Understanding of industry-specific regulations and compliance requirements relevant to healthcare communications.
- Strong familiarity with current industry trends, advancements, and challenges in healthcare, as well as the ability to leverage this knowledge to position the organization and its leaders as thought leaders.
- Strong network and relationships with key media contacts in the healthcare industry, enabling effective media outreach and collaboration.
Please be advised that Elevance Health only accepts resumes from agencies that have a signed agreement with Elevance Health. Accordingly, Elevance Health is not obligated to pay referral fees to any agency that is not a party to an agreement with Elevance Health. Thus, any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Elevance Health.
Be part of an Extraordinary Team
Elevance Health is a health company dedicated to improving lives and communities – and making healthcare simpler. A Fortune 20 company with a longstanding history in the healthcare industry, we are looking for leaders at all levels of the organization who are passionate about making an impact on our members and the communities we serve. You will thrive in a complex and collaborative environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change. Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact?
We offer a range of market-competitive total rewards that include merit increases, paid holidays, Paid Time Off, and incentive bonus programs (unless covered by a collective bargaining agreement), medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, wellness programs and financial education resources, to name a few.
Elevance Health operates in a Hybrid Workforce Strategy, providing various levels of flexibility while also ensuring that associates have opportunities to connect in-person. Unless in a designated virtual-eligible role and specified as primarily virtual by the hiring manager, associates are required to work at an Elevance Health location at least once per week, and potentially several times per week. Specific requirements and expectations for time onsite will be discussed as part of the hiring process. Candidates must reside within 50 miles or 1-hour commute each way of a relevant Elevance Health location.
The health of our associates and communities is a top priority for Elevance Health. We require all new candidates in certain patient/member-facing roles to become vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not vaccinated, your offer will be rescinded unless you provide – and Elevance Health approves – a valid religious or medical explanation as to why you are not able to get vaccinated that Elevance Health is able to reasonably accommodate. Elevance Health will also follow all relevant federal, state and local laws.
Elevance Health has been named as a Fortune Great Place To Work in 2022, has been ranked for five years running as one of the 2023 World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune magazine, and is a growing Top 20 Fortune 500 Company. To learn more about our company and apply, please visit us at careers.ElevanceHealth.com. Elevance Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, genetic information, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.